Monday, December 13, 2010

Just One Little Moment...

Quick step backward to get a glimpse of the broad view of things. Yesterday was a long travel day.  Our first two flights back home were cancelled. We rebooked, and were told upon checking in that our flight was 10 minutes delayed.  No problem.

Then it started snowing more heavily.  Our connecting flight was in danger, so we waited in line at the desk for an hour and ten minutes to rebook our flights.  We were around number 11 in line...the lady got through about ten people in that hour.We got to the front. She asked for our tickets.  She typed in our number....and walked away and started boarding the plane. She told us to wait there...but ultimately told us that we should try to rebook on a 10:30 flight during our layover. No time for us.

*sigh*

We missed our connecting flight by two and a half hours.  All the flights to Dulles were full, and we were resigning ourselves to the possibility of renting a car and driving the eight hours up.

And then...I had to go to the bathroom straight off our flight. I didn't even wait for Josh. As I came out, I noticed that the gate next door had just finished boarding -- and they were going to our airport. I jumped in line at the desk, hoping against all reason that there would be room. Six people lined up behind me.  I called Josh over, begged them for two seats on the plane...and they let us on and shut the door behind us.  The six people in line didn't make it.  We arrived an hour earlier than we had originally planned, before the cancellations and delays.

Amazing.

But what's more amazing...

...if I hadn't been in line, we wouldn't have gotten on the flight.
...if I hadn't seen the gate, I wouldn't have gotten in line.
...if I hadn't gone to the bathroom, I wouldn't have seen the gate.
...if I hadn't needed to use the restroom, I would have waited for Josh.

And if I had waited for Josh, we would have been very likely driving through the night and stumbling into work the next morning.

It's just one little moment that makes a difference.  And you never know which one it's going to be.

I realize that my posts on courtship have been out-of-context. Not that I know if anyone actually reads this (besides mom), but they wouldn't make much sense without some context.  So I think I'll post a brief timeline of our relationship,from the ugly beginnings to the confusing middle to the very satisfying present.  :)  After all, it only takes a moment to change everything.

But that's another day, another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment