Sunday, September 23, 2012

From the time a little girl is about nine years old, the world finds it necessary to inundate her with talks, articles, lessons, and lectures on body image.  So of course every girl grows up hearing "you are beautiful no matter what you look like," which of course makes her wonder what she looks like and why everyone would question that she finds herself beautiful.

And so, most young women spend their time in their prime trying to achieve the perfect look.  Hint: a post-baby body is not the ideal.

Theoretically, a young mother should be at her most vulnerable.  Stretch marks.  Hair that's never neat because it's a perfect grip for little hands.   Abs that have forgotten that they're supposed to be muscles ("tone?  what's that??).  Red-rimmed, sandpapered, sleep-deprived eyes.

And after all the hard work of getting back into shape, you realize that you can lose the weight...but you will never be the same.

But gosh darn it guys, I *grew* a human being.

Kekoa is at the age where he can have preferences, and now that he is able to roll, scoot, and grab things, he can even express them.  And I find myself immensely gratified at how much he depends on me.

I'll put him on the floor for tummy time and lay down nearby to read.  And before I know it, there's a little baby snuggled into my side, reaching for my face.

I love the way he grabs my neck or arm at church as he socializes with all the ladies coming to coo at him, as if to say, "I've got my anchor.  Everything will be okay."

I love his post-naptime haze where he's trying to decide whether he likes the world again, and he burrows his face into my neck.

I love when  he's laying on the bed or couch as Josh and I talk.  He'll hook his foot up on my leg, or grab tight onto my fingers, and just watch.  And smile.

How can you have poor body image when you -- your warmth, your feel, your face, your fingers -- are the center of that little baby's world?  When all it takes to calm him down from a scary experience is your hand, heavy and warm on his back?  When he sees your face walking in the door and that little toothless grin breaks out in sheer, perfect joy?

Answer: you can't.  Because you are no longer the center of your thoughts and desires.  Because you care more about your baby than about other people's opinions.

Because your baby loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment