Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Story Time!

I was homeschooled, and therefore, our version of "parties" in high school was to go someplace with our parents and little siblings and meet up with other kids and their parents.  Wild and crazy, I know.

One party which was actually a business meeting for our parents, four of us high school girls organized a game of Catch Phrase among the kids (remember when Catch Phrase was popular?  Those were the days).  We divided the teams evenly according to reading ability, put the youngest kids on our laps so they could "help" us, and started to play.

One boy (how old was he?  Not sure, but probably 6-8) got passed the disc.  "Okay," he said.  "It's one of your private parts."

The circle froze.  Horrified, the other kids looked at us older girls, pleading with their eyes for us to do something.

I practically threw the four year old on my lap across the room and scrambled to come to his aid before any homeschooled little ears burned off in embarrassment.  I peeked over his shoulder...

It all made sense now.  I whispered a clue in his ear to use.

"It's the opposite of top," he said.

"Bottom!"  The kids all shouted.  We older girls tried desperately not to laugh too loud.  Crisis averted.

Or so I thought.  The disc was passed around the circle several more times.  Points were awarded.  And it came back to our friend....

"It's one of your private parts again!"

I was faster this time.  "Say it's the part of a chair that you sit on."

"It's a part of a chair that you sit on."

"Seat!"

The game ended here, because all four of us high school girls were either crying or lying gasping on the floor from laughter while the younger kids looked around confused.  I mean, what ARE the odds?

It was the most memorable game I've ever played.


Why did I feel the need to post that?  Because Kekoa is demonstrating that he understands the concept of language.  Which means, soon he'll start picking up on specific meanings.  Which means...

We have to start picking the words we're going to use for bathroom functions and anatomy.  Because as we all know, if you don't want a word shouted down the church hallway, don't teach it to your kid.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I need to check and see if his mother has read this! Bwahahahaha I thought you were saving this for his senior roast! Yes, time to figure out how to teach my precious grandson to be discreet! ;) Have fun with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I am one of the few who was present and remember this specific memory. Love it.

    ReplyDelete