Wednesday, December 12, 2012

An Introvert Confronts Weakness


Here's something you probably know about me: I am an introvert. 

(If you don't know this about me, hi, have we met?  Because I'm guessing we haven't).

I am not an introvert who feels the need to pretend to be an extrovert.  I am quite at peace with my introverted-ness, thankyouverymuch.  I am proud of the strengths of my personality.

But oh, the weaknesses.

Contrary to popular extroverted belief, introverts don't hate people.  But they are more highly reactive to their environments. They process events differently.  Some say that introverts process stimuli more deeply ("a rich inner life," they say), and that accounts for the greater energy expense.  I am not so smug as to make that assertion.

Extroverts tend to recharge through social interaction.  Introverts tend to recharge through alone time.  So while I may enjoy myself at a party as much as the next person, it depletes my emotional resources.  I don't mind so much.  I'm pretty careful not to overbook myself, because it's best for all concerned - trust me (better yet, ask my husband).

But God's been convicting me of something lately, related to my introvertedness.

You know those spiritual gift tests?  My spiritual gifts correlate pretty strongly with my personality.  And down there at the bottom, every time, is this little thing called hospitality.

Yeah, hospitality.  I'm pretty bad at it.  You know that moment in most churches where they tell you to greet those around you?  HATE. IT.  It makes me squirm.  It makes me stutter.  It makes my heart pound and palms sweat like most people fear heights or snakes.  Because in my head, I hear: "Hey everyone!  Go shake the hand of that stranger!  You won't have enough time to say anything important, just chit-chat for a while! Oh, and if you don't do it, you're gonna look like a Scrooge."

Ugh. Ick. Ack. Blech. *shudder*

(On a side note, our home church doesn't do that.  I wonder how much of my initial attraction when we were church-hunting was subconsciously influenced by the lack of squirmy awkwardness of an obliged greeting?)

But here's the thing: hospitality is still a command.  For introverted, non-small-talking, socially awkward me.

(Disclaimer: in the below paragraphs, I'm not blaming my mom at all.  She's practicing her gifts, and that's awesome.)

My mom is a ten-talent hospitality personality.  Open up her home?  Sure, no problem.  With decaf, half-caf, hot cocoa, and ten different kinds of tea.  Growing up, we had baby showers, wedding showers, craft parties, cast parties, swimming parties, holiday meals...even two wedding receptions in our backyard.  You name it, my mom hosted it. 

I am the man in the parable with one talent.  BUT.  It's my responsibility to refuse to bury it.  I have to use it, and trust that even though my "interest rate" makes drying paint look like it's on fast-forward, God will use it.

I've been trying to do better about having people over.  About greeting the lady in the church lobby.  About initiating relationships.  About maintaining them.  And guys, it's so hard.

My lessons started small: letting go of the perfectionism that wants my one-talent hospitality to somehow look and feel like my mom's ten-talent.  Wanting to invite everyone over.  Wanting to let people stay as late as they want.  Wanting to be able to revive a lagging conversation with a joke or sheer energy.

But I am not called to this.  I am an introvert.  I *have* to keep a light schedule,or else I begin to snap at my family.  I *have* to at some point go to bed, because I am not a nice person otherwise.   I *have* to share what we have, and not try to overstretch myself with exotic menus. I *have* to focus my relationship-building on small groups of people because otherwise I get overwhelmed and my family suffers.

 I have to allow for my weaknesses, even as I confront them.  To ignore my weaknesses would be to take an alcoholic to an open bar and expect him to stay sober.

So....moral of the story is: I'm an introvert.  But that does not excuse me from obedience to commands.  I have to trust that should God require me to serve Him through a late-night, exotic dinner party, then He will provide the grace and resources necessary to do so.

But in the meantime, I need to develop my one talent in accordance with my personality and ability.  I may not be called to host weekly get-togethers, but I am called, always, to love those around me with an open heart. 

What's your one talent?

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I read this post with interest. You weren't there when I started practicing hospitality because it was a "command", and not a "gift". If you can imagine, it wasn't something that I learned or was exposed to early in life.

    I started in the first year of our marriage, in a Bible Study with 2 other couples, and we alternated homes, so it meant we only met at our house every 3 weeks. It took me all weekend to clean our apartment (How dirty can an apartment get when there are only two of you and you both work 40+ hours a week?) and then get sodas and tea (None of us were coffee drinkers). You can imagine my dismay, when we went to sweet Mrs. Brown's house, and she'd have 3 types of freshly baked goodies, along with soda and tea! Ugh!

    You only remember after we moved to our current house, and I had been practicing hospitality for 10 years, as a command. Here are some of my tips:

    1. DO NOT vacuum before guests arrive, if you've done it in the past week. Just pick up the big chunks! Only the first person in gets to admire the clean floor. The rest just dirty it up and you'll have to vacuum the next day anyway.

    2. If you entertain at night, use candlelight if you're not reading your Bibles. That way you won't notice all of the dust that has settled since the last time you dusted (and neither will your guests).

    3. Water is universally the favorite drink, so if you don't have much else, just make sure you have cold water with ice.

    4. Guests prefer a calm hostess, rather than a stressed out one. Most of the time I'm more Martha than Mary, though I try to be more like Mary.

    5. For college students, a crock pot of chicken noodle soup will make them happy, along with a plate full of store bought cookies. Don't stress about the fresh baked goods!

    Don't worry, you'll get it. And I always wonder how many times I have entertained angels unaware! (Hebrews 13:1-3)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Mom, spoken like a true extrovert. Thanks for the tips (I use a lot of them, mementos of growing up in your house!), but I like cleaning so the prep work isn't really a big stressor to me. I worry about not having enough down time, and awkward conversational lags. And sometimes I get grumpy when I'm out of energy to be with people. :P

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving me something to think about...what is my one talent? I am not sure I know....

    About hospitality... as a fellow introvert, I understand how hard "entertaining" guests is. I try to remember that I am actually not supposed to "entertain" or impresses. Sometimes small, simple affairs are just as lovely as an impressive meal. We've had a few guests at a time come over for just dessert. I'll whip up something quick (which, for me, is cookie bars...and I enjoy baking so it's not stressful). And then we just chat...and it's lovely.

    We live so close by...we should practice on each other sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Aubrey! We do need to get together and chat about all things early parenthood. :) Speaking of which...I keep waiting hopefully for a post from you? *hint hint*

      Delete
    2. I think we'll have to wait until after New Years...we are going to be seeing lots of family until the first week of January...so see you next year? ;-)

      So, I have lots of posts in my head...and have been meaning for weeks to post my Aleigha's birth story (which may or may not be interesting to all audience's...) but I just haven't forced myself to do it yet. Maybe I should just put the birth story on hold for longer and just post something else that is not quite so elaborate... :-)

      Delete
  3. I thought you did a great job with hospitality, reaching out to me when we moved into the area! A very good use of your one talent ;-) And I know, for me at least, I much prefer a low-key, sometimes-awkward, conversation and simple food over a big party. So, if you only entertain other introverts, you'll never have to throw a big party, and everyone will be the happier for it! =P

    ReplyDelete