Thursday, July 4, 2013

Summer Doldrums

I love summer.

More accurately, I love the concept of summer.  It's the reality that I don't love so much.

I also love storms.  I love walking in the rain, watching it pour off the roof in sheets, listening to the thunder.

More accurately, I love the concept of storms.  In reality, I'm one of those people who tends to get migraines when the barometric pressure changes.  And then I pout on the couch and wish I could go walk in the rain, but expend all my energy trying to keep my brains from exploding outside of my skull.

We've had a lot of storms in the last couple weeks.  After three straight days of thunderstorms last week, I emerged, groggy and morose, to discover that my kitchen looked like this:



And the rest of the house looked like this:


 And then a couple nights ago Kekoa refused to eat and had a low fever, which I attributed to teething.  He was fine yesterday morning except for some congestion.  And then around noon I discovered that his temp was 102.7.  Forget the housework - we spent the afternoon rocking in the rocking chair while he sat limply in my lap.  Once the acetaminophen kicked in, he felt well enough to yell every time I put him down.  Poor little guy.

So for the Fourth this year, we're doing...nothing.  Absolutely, gloriously nothing.  I think we're a little bit in survival mode right now, and a day off is a wonderful thing.  So we're dressed in red, white, and blue, eating waffles, and vegging.  I heard a rumor that family naptime might be in store for this afternoon...woohoo!!!  We know how to par-TAY.

Happy Fourth!

No comments:

Post a Comment