Tuesday, July 16, 2013

In case you thought long luscious locks were all fun and games...

Warm summer afternoons + naptime = this.

"If I smile will you leave the tangles alone?"

In other news, the new words are coming steadily now.  We get to see not just what we say often, but what he interprets them as meaning.  Sometimes quite revealing as to how he's learned to get our attention/affection.

For example: "I did it!" ("dadatet") means, "I need praise and affirmation and attention, so I'm going to do this thing that I think you'll be proud of and then come get my hug!"   

"I got you" ("agachoo!") means "Hey, can you get off the computer and play tickle fight instead? I'll start things off by grabbing your feet" (An unfortunate discovery on his part: my feet are highly reactive)  :/

"Amen" ("hahama") means "This is a weird kind of peek-a-boo.  Why don't we just say peek-a-boo like usual?  But whatever, I'll play along."  (bonus points: I can say that my child says "Amen" at the end of a prayer.  See what good spiritual parents we are?  Never mind that he thinks it's a game...)

"Mama baby" ("mama behbeh") means "Pick me up please, I need some nurturing!"  Usually accompanied by the universal "pick me up" sign of upraised arms.  After a few days of this, I suddenly started noticing that when he's hurt, I say, "Come here, baby" and then cuddle him.

I really enjoy this phase - it's fun and helpful that he can tell us whether he wants more food, his water, or Daddy.  He can also tell us if he very much disagrees with our decisions.  Fun times.

2 comments:

  1. That is a fun phase. However, he might not be happy that this picture is posted!

    ReplyDelete