Monday, July 22, 2013

Cured

For the first twenty three years of my life, I suffered from an acute sleep disorder.  My family, roommates, and husband, however, seemed not to take it very seriously.  In fact they rather seemed to enjoy it.

True, certain events did seem to add a little spice to life.  For example:
  • My pillow mysteriously turning up in various places all over the house - my brothers' bathroom, the couch, my dad's office.
  • The time the jet plane crashed into our dorm room and I implored my roommate to help me "pick up all the little crystal bubbles" that were scattered in our room as a result.
  • The time I shared a room with my Grandma on vacation and sat on her in the middle of the night.  Fortunately, her heart is fine.
  • The time my roommate, convinced I was asleep, absolutely refused to make eye contact or conversation with me to prevent any odd behaviors.  (the next morning: "Haha, last night you just insisted that you were awake.  It was so funny"  "Um.  I was awake. Just using the restroom.")
  • The time Rodents of Unusual Size (or possibly snakes) swarmed into our apartment through our window AC unit and I woke Josh up to save us.  He, confused and clearly not comprehending the danger, proceeded to rifle through the picnic basket.  I was livid that he would mess around with a picnic basket while leaving me exposed to the ROUS's (or snakes).
  • The (two!) times I read Dracula.  HUGE mistake for a sleepwalker.
But for the last thirteen months I've been absolutely incident free.  No mysterious pillow migrations, no nocturnal wanderings, nothing.  And there haven't even been any recorded incidents of sleeptalking.

Yes, I think I can finally say that I'm cured.  I owe it all to Kekoa, I think.  Something about that maternal instinct that is always aware, even in sleep, of the presence of a little person that needs protection.  I thought at first that when we moved him out of our room I might start up again, but nope.  If anything, I sleep even more lightly.

So hurrah!  It's nice to not worry about where you'll end up by morning.

1 comment:

  1. "...there haven't even been any recorded incidents of sleeptalking." If I could, I'd emphasize "recorded". :) The end of an era. The era of deep sleep. May your light sleep be restful and enough!

    ReplyDelete