Monday, May 27, 2013

Just a few things.

I like warmer weather and all, but a part of me mourns the winter days when missing a spot while shaving doesn't matter.  Also, toe nail polish.  I really dislike painting my toe nails.

~~~~~

As I write, the child is eating...raw onions.  He's an odd one. Maybe I need to stop trying to get him to eat beef and chicken and need to start giving him things like liver and headcheese.  He seems to prefer really strong, almost obnoxious flavors.

~~~~~~

Really, this whole kinda-sorta-vegan is a lot more fun that I thought it would.  It's been amazing enough that I think we'll stick with the low dairy diet even when/if he outgrows his allergy.  If we do eat dairy, it will probably be yogurt.  I always blamed produce for being too expensive, but actually without dairy products eating up our budget we have produce coming out of our ears.

But note: don't just cut dairy cold turkey.  Either cut back slowly or go through a full detox diet.  We all got pretty sick.
~~~~~

In my generation it's very trendy to be creative and do your own projects, cook your own food, alter your own clothes (or get them from thrift shops), etc.  I think that's a great trend.

What I don't think is a great trend is the compulsive need to post every single little outfit/meal/DIY project on Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram.  It makes me wonder: do we actually value creativity, artistry, or frugality?  Or do we just want the praise for doing the trendy thing?

I understand it for small businesses and blogs dedicated to a particular thing, but we seem to have an inordinate need that our work be applauded.

~~~~~~

My pastor posted an article (sorry, I can't find it) the other day.  I really appreciate that he passes on really great thoughts each week.  This particular article was written to parents; essentially it says that we are the guardians of our child's cyberpresence.  The pictures and statuses we post may not go away. So don't post anything that you wouldn't post if your 13-year-old child was standing over your shoulder.  That was a little convicting.

~~~~~

Avocado.  Oh my goodness. I made chocolate avocado pudding the other day, and it was AMAZING.  One drawback: it looked horrible.  I wouldn't ever serve it to a guest because of the look.  The recipe I used didn't include almond milk, though, so maybe it would be creamier and smoother with the milk.  So what do you think: would you try something like this?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts! Yes, I've had chocolate avocado pudding...but it looked like actual pudding...otherwise I might not have tried it. ;-)

    Please, please post your pastor's article when you find it...I've been thinking about that idea for weeks... I keep thinking "What if MY mom had facebook and a blog...? What would I think if there were 18+ years of pictures and status of me and my siblings for the "world" to see?" I've actually decided not to post albums and albums of photos so I can preserve my little one's future privacy. I still post pictures here and there...but I just try to be careful....

    And...about the "but we seem to have an inordinate need that our work be applauded" -- totally agree. Although, I might be guilty of that too (in my heart if it doesn't actually come out in public). But, I also worry I have an inordinate desire to get upset and snarky when I see someone's inordinate need for applause. I find that I have to choke back nasty comments all of the time.... I'm working on this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aubrey, I found the article: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2013/05/20/parents-do-you-think-before-you-post/
    I'm definitely guilty of posting tmi sometimes! I think I need to go back and hide a few things...or edit them. I guess it's better to err on the side of too litte info. But at the same time, I really appreciate it when other bloggers talk about the hard stuff, which I think would generally fall into the "tmi" category, because it's encouraging to know I'm not the only one and helps me be able to laugh rather than get angry when embarrassing things happen. So I'm still figuring out where the line is.

    Yeah, I think we're all guilty of it to some degree, our generation or not. We all want applause. It's just that we have the vehicle to get it. And the strange thing is...I *like* reading updates about the inane happenings of people's lives. I can actually get really interested in what so-and-so had for breakfast yesterday morning. But I just don't think it's healthy for anyone - them because of the overexposure factor and me because I can get jealous of their Instagram-perfect life.

    ReplyDelete