Sunday, May 12, 2013

and I never knew... (part 1)

Dear Mom,

I always knew you weren't the worst Mom in the world (even those frequent teenaged days when I was pretty sure you weren't the best), but I never knew for what and how much I should be grateful. 

I always knew labor was no fun, but I never knew that I should be grateful for the heartburn and pressure and itching and swelling of pregnancy.

I always knew babies had to be fed and cuddled, but I never knew that "sleeping through the night" once didn't mean the baby would always sleep through the night from that point on.

I always knew toddlers required constant attention, but I never knew how tempting it is to let little things slide to avoid the fight.

I always knew parenting had to roll with the punches, but I never knew how many punches there were.

So, thank you.

Thank you for rushing home to get me in my crib for my nap every day. Sorry I was such an inflexible little squirt (still am - you and Josh can sympathize on this one!)

Thank you for saying "no" to me often and quickly.  Thank you for disciplining me even when it would have been easier to let some things go.

Thank you for not saying "no" to everything.  Thank you for allowing me the freedom to bonk my head and make a mess.

Thank you for making me laugh ten thousand times.  Thank you for loving my baby smile.

Thank you for putting me in the sling, even when it made your shoulders ache, and letting my spirited-but-shy self enjoy the view without the dangers.

Thank you for saving my life from a well-meaning two-year-old on the basement stairs.

Thank you for giving me the freedom to destroy what was mine, rather than controlling my possessions.  Six years later, Claudia's smooth bald head was still a comfort to me.

And most of all, thank you for not being so tired of me that you put the brakes on having more kids.  The best gifts you ever gave me were my brothers-turned-best-friends. 
(well, and the hockey sticks were pretty amazing, too).

Happy Mother's Day.  < 3

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the sweet note! The boys will never understand! I'm glad I had a daughter! And it was a pleasure to make you giggle and have a little baby belly laugh! Ahhhh, the sweet days of babyhood! I love you and I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete