Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Smaller Vocabulary

Sometimes I feel like being a young married has robbed me of the meaning of some of my favorite vocabulary words. For example:

Me in May 2010: "Oh my goodness....I'm sooooo hungry all the time lately. I can't wait for lunch!"
Friend 1:  "Haha yeah, me too!  Sitting in class really works up my appetite!  Wanna go grab lunch now?"
Friend 2: "In the meantime, have some almonds!"

Me now: "Oh my goodness....I'm sooooo hungry all the time lately.  I can't wait for lunch!"
Friend 1: *casts furtive glance to friend2*
Friend 2:  *timidly* "You're...hungry? ALL the time? Are you.... *whispers* eating for two?"
Me: *sigh*



Me in May 2010: "Oh, I'd really love some oranges right now.  I've been craving them lately."
Friend 1: "Hmmm, you must be low in vitamin C.  Here, have a vitamin."

Me now: "Oh, I'd really love some oranges right now.  I've been craving them lately."
Friend 1: "OHMYGOSH YOU'RE HAVING CRAVINGS?!?!?!?!?"



Me in May 2010:  *baby toddles by* "Awww, how cute"
Friend 1: "Awwwwww....look at those little ringlets!"
Friend 2: "I just want to pick her up and squeeze her!"

Me now:  *baby toddles by* "Awww, how cute"
*awkward silence*
Friend 1: "so....you want any of your own?"
Friend 2: "Are you trying to tell us something?"



Me in May 1020:  "Ugh, breakfast just didn't sit right in my stomach.  I don't feel so great."
Friend: "Aw, I'm sorry...why don't you lay down until chapel?"

Me now: "Ugh, breakfast just didn't sit right in my stomach.  I don't feel so great."
Friend: "You're.....SICK?  In...the MORNING???"

The ironic thing is that most likely, when I AM thinking of announcing something, but am not quite ready to make that announcement or am not quite sure, I will probably be avoiding all suggestive terms. So the fact that I am telling you about my cravings should indicate that I am NOT craving pickles and ice cream.

Until then, I'll just have to deal with the sudden interest in all things relating to my appetite, my opinion of children, and anytime I'm just not feeling well.

2 comments:

  1. ROFL! This was too funny of a post! Isn't that the way it is? Wait until you really get the flu. You be questioned then! And by the way, it doesn't go away as a young married. People still ask when you are 40, 45, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cilla! I was JUST talking to some friends about this yesterday!!! (recently married friends that is). Please let me add to your list....

    Me in May 2009: " I have a doctor's appointment today"
    Friend: "Oh, I hate going to the doctor"


    Me Now: "I have a doctor's appointment today"
    Friend: "REAAALLLLYYY, getting a second opinion? anything special to report"


    Ugh!

    ReplyDelete