Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's in a word?

We tried an experiment a couple of weeks ago.  We tried to not use the word "good."  And boy, was it hard.  I never realized how often I use that word. 

"How was the meeting?"  "Good."  

"This is good food!"

"You pulled yourself up - good boy!"

"Good job eating another spoonful of carrots."

"It's a good day."

It got rather ridiculous, trying not to say it, because it punctuates every conversation.  And instead of a rich, deep meaning - because after all, God is good -- it's become a catchall term that can mean almost anything.  Pleasant, convenient, okay, fine, nice, tasty, strong, nondescript.  

In 1984, language is whittled down to remove most adjectives.  And "good" becomes a catch-all term that prevents people from thinking too much, feeling too much, desiring too much.  It's almost as if absent from words to describe them, deeper meanings can't exist.

I'm not really an alarmist or conspiracy theorist when it comes to language.  I'm not the type of person to freak out when someone wishes me a "happy holidays" or when a teenager apathetically mumbles "whatever."    But I do think language enables thought.  It allows the transportation of ideas.  

But more on the practical level, what does it say to Kekoa when I use "good" too often in my parenting?  That he's an upright boy for eating his vegetables.  That upper arm strength wins favor.  That "being good for the babysitter" means that as long as one behaves well, he is on morally stable ground.

That's legalism. That's teaching him that outward behavior is equal to righteousness, heart condition notwithstanding.  

Of course, not using the word "good" could also equate to legalism.  Anytime you're busy complying a list of "don'ts" that will enable a better/more successful/happier life, you're probably engaging in legalism on some level.  

BUT I want to use language as it was intended - to convey meaning.  So I'm trying to consciously describe my thoughts rather than lazily relying on the easiest term to come to mind.  For example, "be wise and calm" rather than "be good."  "Sunny and warm" instead of "good weather."  "I'm proud of how hard you worked" instead of "good job on your exams."

It's rather interesting - I find myself being much more specific in my praise.  And isn't that when I like when others praise me?  Don't I prefer "This soup is so creamy!" to "Good food"?  And isn't "you've been so patient!" more helpful to a kid to hear than "you've been so good"?

In the end, I find that when you strip away all the cheap meanings of "good," it opens up the rich, divine mystery of a moral, righteous, good God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment