Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All Members of One Body...

We had our meeting with our elders last night for membership. At least, we thought it was going to be elders, with a pastor.  But when they knocked on the door, it was both our pastors and one of our elders.

We small-talked for a while ("Yep, looks like a newlywed apartment...man, when we were newlyweds I bought this dresser..."), ate cookies, and settled down into our seats.  And then the questions started.

"Tell us your testimony"

"Describe to me the work and person of Jesus."

"Do you have a favorite Scripture passage?"

"How do you envision yourself using your spiritual gifts for the Body of Christ?"

And then, the Book of Church Order came out and they asked us those five little questions that determined whether we would join the local church.

It was a precious time to me.  I had trouble finding a church in college.  I didn't have a car, so I hopped in whatever car was available, or a church van sent to pick up stranded students.  More often than not, I ended up arriving in a herd of students and then rushing to greet people so I wouldn't miss the van.  I attended three different churches while I was there, for at least 4 months at each one.  And in all those churches, there was only one at which I ever met the pastor (twice actually...but he didn't remember my name).  No one ever asked my testimony.  For all they knew, I didn't even believe in God.

Our first week at our current church was a surprise.  Not only did both pastors greet us (we didn't even realize they were the pastors at the time!), but they both immediately offered to gather people to help us move in.  Within a month, two different elders had invited us over to lunch to get to know us.  And now, both of our pastors know our stories, know our spiritual gifts, know our struggles, know our talents, know our jobs, know our needs.   We aren't members because they signed the paperwork. We are members because we are known.  To make a rough analogy, you can pay your dues to be in a club - but to really belong as a member, you've got to be a part of the club.

We belong here..

And then today at lunch we mentioned to a couple co-workers that we had a meeting for membership.  I was shocked at how quickly membership was bashed as "bureaucratic" and "unnecessary."

No -- a bureaucracy is paperwork and needless red tape.  It is not human.  And anyone who was in our home last night knows that the three men gently asking us questions and getting to know us are not a bureaucracy.  They have simply made the process of joining a church one in which you can't sit by the sidelines, isolated and alone.

There is a difference between order and bureaucracy.  I am comforted more and more as I watch our church in action.  They are prepared to handle challenges.  They are prepared to stand up against sin.  They've done it, and the church has not fallen apart or crumbled in shock.  Even more, they've been able to comfort each other because they know each other.


I am a member of the universal Body of Christ.  What does that mean?  That we share beliefs, that we have a common heritage.  But that means nothing if I am not accountable.

I am a member of the local Body of Christ.  I am accountable to them, I have submitted to them, and I am responsible to contribute to them. We share beliefs.  We have a common heritage.  But even better - there is a system set in place that helps us remember that.

Let all things be done decently and in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment