Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This Present Sojourn

In reading through Genesis, I'm noticing how much of OT life revolved around the wells.  As much as the tents they lived in were symbols of  their journey in faith, so their wells were symbols of God's faithfulness along their journeys.  Their temporary residences depended on the presence of water. Their arguments and quarrels were about the wells.  When they wanted to mark a spot, they named the wells.  The wells were their sustenance, their security.

Like their tents, I too have periods in my spiritual life where I dwelt by certain "wells"of God's providence. There have been times where I needed certain truths to soak in, to be immersed in some aspects of the gospel that I only partially understood.  Sometimes learning must stop to make way for greater comprehension - new information does very little for those who are already misinformed.

Like the OT patriarchs, I can look back on my spiritual growth by tracking those times of rest, of understanding. It is good for the soul to not trek on mercilessly.  Even spiritual journeys need a resting place sometimes, and that is usually where the recovery takes place that allows Christian to continue his trek.  But even more than that...

When men in the Bible built a well, they moved on. But the well remained.  I find it telling that Isaac camped at Beer Lahai Roi -- the same well that Hagar brought Ishmael in despair and saw God.  Ishmael's growth and sustenance became Isaac's, by a twist of irony.  The same God nurtured both and allowed them rest in the same place.

I too have benefited by the wells of others.  Countless counselors have spoken truth gleaned from their own experience.  Comforters have remembered their pain to empathize with mine.  Those spiritual camp-outs by the wells of truth have lasted far beyond their own thirst.  Through their writings and encouragement, I can follow in their footsteps.  And I can leave my own path behind, for others to learn from. And by recording the ways my needs were met in the past, I can return in the future to remember his faithfulness in the past, which should inspire my trust in the present..

Just a couple thoughts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment