Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Don't Blink

We recently spent almost 3 weeks in California with my family, first for a family wedding and then for a robotics tournament that my youngest brother participated in (his team did awesome - easily the best individual robot there, his team won the most prestigious award, and their three-team alliance came in second. I'm kinda proud).

But during those two weeks, little Miss Ellie decided to grow up. She had been crawling for about a month, but not far or fast. And then in the space of two weeks, she was crawling everywhere, pulling herself up, getting back down, waving hello, cutting a third tooth -- and in the week since, a fourth -- and saying "Ellie" (which she pronounces the way her brother does - "eh-yah") and "hi." It was funny to come home and realize that we were not at all babyproofed - I had moved breakables and tearables and chokables off the bottom shelves, but suddenly the second shelves, end tables, and night stands were in danger too! If I go insane, it's because of the great love of Duplos that my children share. Or rather, one's great love of building that seems to directly contradict the other's love for destruction. And the fact that Ellie can now reach every surface Kekoa can, so nothing is safe.



We determined she was an extrovert. Kekoa used to save all his big milestones for right after a trip, when he was relaxing at home. She was totally energized by our crazy schedule full of crowds and socializing.

This, of course, means that I have an introvert who freaks out if we're out too much and an extrovert who freaks out if we're in too much. But whatever. Fortunately both our kids are similar to one of their parents - Josh and Ellie will be the social ambassadors and Kekoa and I will be the homebodies. It's all good.

We also pulled out the rest of my old baby clothes. Miss Ellie now has so many sweet summer dresses, I need it to be summer STAT. And speaking of me as a baby....


Ellie at 8 months
Me at 8 months - look like anyone you know?

Kekoa had a grand old time with his cousin on my side of the family - the two boys got along splendidly and were adorable together. Most toddlers aren't really interested in playing together, but his cousin was and that made Kekoa so, so happy. Like, new best friend happy. Looking at pictures later: "It's my favorite dog Benji! It's [cousin!]! I love him! My favorite friend!"

He also adored the robots and promptly got to work making some when he found his Duplos (you can see why it looks this way by seeing one of my brother's robot matches here - I'm a proud sister).  The other trucks are the audience who intermittently yell "Come on guys!" and "Great job Uncle Andy!"


Another funny thing Kekoa has started is using placeholders when he thinks there ought to be more adult words, but he doesn't know which ones. So he'll be telling me a story:

"Hey Mommy! We went on a walk to the library and eee uh ah ooh ee ah see a police car!"

Or when he's singing, if he can't remember the rest of the line: "Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light, ah uh ah oh in eh oh EEMING"

They're all very distinctly pronounced syllables and he doesn't miss a beat as if he's searching for words or saying "um." He just acts as if everything he said was perfectly clear.

That is something that can be said for toddlers: life is never boring. Mind-numbingly repetitive - yes. But boring? Not so much.

1 comment:

  1. I need to post a sweet picture of her. Going to do it now! Miss them so much!

    ReplyDelete