Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Second-borns are the best

It has become apparent.  It is very obviously second-borns that are the most loved.

You see, when a mother decides she wants her first baby, she really doesn't know what she's getting into.  She doesn't understand the desperate need for twenty pillows propping up her back.  She hasn't considered the loss of her favorite wardrobe - possibly forever.  She has never experienced the utter indignities that pregnant women are subjected to at the doctor's office.

And so, she desires that first child in ignorance.

Oh sure, I love my firstborn without a doubt.  But anyone can walk into a torture chamber willingly, if they don't know what it is.  But a mother choosing to have a second baby is walking into the torture chamber with her eyes open, with full knowledge of what is to come. 

Therefore, I, as the desired second-born, am quite obviously the most loved.  Thanks, Mom.

P.S.  Don't worry to those of you who are concerned about my firstborn's self-esteem.  I'll delete this post before Jiblet can read, which will be sooner than you think because I had a an obviously prophetic dream that she was a child prodigy with far superior mental capabilities and a sunny-sweet, always obedient disposition and an absolutely fabulous mother. Like every firstborn, right?  But then, in that case, I don't think you have to worry about self-esteem issues.

P.P.S.  For you firstborns reading this, really, I'm kidding.  It's okay.  I'm sure your mom loves you very much.   This post is really just a way for me to complain without sounding too whiny, so don't get bent out of shape.

2 comments:

  1. I distinctly remember that first contraction when I went into labor with you. All of a sudden, the memories came rushing back! Yes, ignorance is bliss! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom always said that the first time she saw her newborn baby made her forget all of the discomfort and inconvenience of pregnancy and delivery. It wasn't until the next pregnancy that it came back to her. So, the real evidence of how much she loves her secondborn is that she had a third child! :)

    ReplyDelete