Thursday, April 14, 2011

Month 1: Running

So for the first month, I chose running.  This is mainly because I used to love running and I still do when I actually  get out to run.  This is also because Josh's work offers extra vacation time to people who set "health and wellness" goals and meet them each quarter, and he put down that he would run.  So I am his accountability partner.

The rules I set are very important for me, because I am OCD when it comes to even numbers.  Last fall,  I was running consistently.  But the problem was that if the timer said that I had been running for 30 minutes and needed to stop, I would invariably have run some awkward distance like 2.46 miles and would decide to run another 4/10s of a mile to make it an even 2.5.  The problem was that when I had run 2.5 miles, I would have been running for some awkward time like 33.7 minutes and then I would have to run another couple minutes so it would be 35....but then I would have gone 2.8 miles and if I could only get up to 3 miles....

Pretty soon, I would have been running for an hour and by the time I had stretched and showered, it would have taken me two hours and so when I started working full-time, that simply wasn't practical.  Good-bye running.

So you see why having a strict time limit is important.  Awkward numbers, prepare to be ignored.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sooo cracking up at your assessment of your OCD! Yes, that is sooo you! BWAHAHAHA! It is a nice time of year to pick up running though! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - minutes over miles is definitely the way to run. Make yourself run outdoors and bring a watch that can't tell you how far you've gone!

    ReplyDelete