Saturday, September 4, 2010

Peanut Butter Maple Bars

A couple nights ago I was experimenting with a recipe for no-bake oatmeal cookies.  The problem: I didn't have all of the ingredients, and not enough of the ingredients I did have.  So I experimented instead!

I brought 2 cups of sugar, a stick of butter, and 1/2 cup of milk to a light boil until it was smooth and creamy.  I then removed the pan from the heat and added a dash of vanilla, a glob of peanut butter (probably around 3/4th of a cup), and several packs of instant oatmeal.  I then drizzled chocolate syrup over the mess and stirred it all together.

The result was a goop that looked like oatmeal.  The cookies that I was semi-imitating were supposed to plop down on foil and then cool into cookies.  This wasn't gonna happen with these pups.  So I poured them into a baking dish and chilled them over night.

I must say, I was pretty happy with the final product.  It's basically peanut butter fudge with the added oatmeal texture.  I was so pleased with it that I made another batch to take to a party. I'm inspired to try making real fudge someday.... but with how rich this stuff is, it's gonna take us a while to get through our current batch. 

It's been a good week in our little apartment.  I revised a spinach quiche recipe I found online for our Labor Day weekend breakfast (the joy of cooking for two -- it lasts much longer!), and was surprised how well it turned out.  All I did was lessen the number of ingredients and substituted some ingredients for their more expensive counterparts.  Simplification.  :)

This morning Josh and I took a walk to drop an envelope in the mailbox and grab a treat.  We passed a yard sale on our way and I noticed a desk.  We've been looking for a desk.  So we decided that on the way back, we would ask how much and if it was less than $40, we would get the car and take it.


$15.  That sold us right there.  It's sturdy and well-built (as we were about to find out, too well-built), and in fairly good condition.  There are decorations on it (i.e., crayon scribbles), but that matches our table perfectly and so goes with the general theme.  ;)


We walked back, got the car, drove back, and loaded her up. 

Or at least...we tried.  Too deep to fit in the trunk and too wide to fit in the back seat.  So I drove back, grabbed our toolset, and we disassembled the desk.


Or at least...we tried. The screws attaching the drawer section to the desktop were stripped. 


Enter Jeremiah.  Faithful carpool buddy came driving to the rescue in his white Subaru.  He helped us load it up and then get it into our apartment.  We don't have a chair for it yet (that's our next search -- more chairs so we can host more than two people!), but for now we've got Josh's exercise ball.


I finally felt like I was fully moved in as I unpacked.  Office supplies are my favorite.  Binders, notebooks, sticky notes, freshly sharpened pencils...they're a must.  It was great to say hello to my old friends as I released them from the purple bin that was their prison!



I also found a few of my favorite memorized pieces.  If, by Rudyard Kipling, The Four Quartets, by T.S. Eliot, and O Captain My Captain now grace my walls.  *happy sigh*

It has been amazing how many ways God has provided for us.  I know He will always provide our necessities, like food and clothing.  But He has answered our prayers far above and beyond our needs.

Now all we need is a buddy with a truck who can help us move a sleeper couch that someone offered to us.  :)  Then we can have someone spend the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment